Wednesday 26 August 2009

rain and puppies

Well if today was the tail end of Hurricane Bill, he was a bit of a wimp! We had mizzle on and off all day. Managed to get many of the birds flown, although the wind stopped the less experienced ones and the Kestrels. The forecast is for good weather ALL bank holiday - a bloody miracle!! And hooray, just what we need.

Arabis was buried with all due honours, the other dogs came and several people have put flowers there for her and Lupin. Now I have to organise or do a stone for them. The wood where all the dogs are buried is due for a lot of work this winter, thinning out, clearing and planting of wildflowers, it should look better next year.

Its amazingly autumnal already, some of the trees are already turning, I don't mind autumn coming in September, but not in August - doesnt seem right really. I have to say that autumn is probably my favourite season, I love the autumn evenings when the light is sometimes so golden you could cut it with a knife and the early frosts on the grass in the mornings, and the mist rising from the grass with all the cobwebs covered in dropplets of water that gleam. A place without seasons does not allow you to appreciate all the different aspects of the countryside. I love the changes and am hoping for one of those autumns with bright days and crisp nights.

I have a small person on my lap as I write, the newest member of the family, Sedge, he is a six week old Patterdale Terrier, and is pretty cute, although I do not like that word. And he still has puppy breath which if you are not a dog person you will not appreciate, but if you are you will understand!

Theft the sister of Deception, the Yellow billed Kites went loose yesterday and has forgotten nothing, its good to see her flying again, the two of them are first class and I hope to breed some more next year. Dawn Run my female Lanner is looking like she will be very very good if I don't screw her up and Fortina the peregrine just made mince meat of the wind today, she was having a great time.

Here is hoping for a great Bank holiday

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers