Monday 15 March 2010

More of Monday

Had to go to hospital for an endoscopy today, which I am pleased to say was clear. There are a few things you might want to know about one. Firstly they are far better than a colonoscopy, or at least they are if you do it right, although come to think of it the day before a colonoscopy is by far the worst part of one. It is then you realise that your loo paper is no where near as soft as you thought it was, and that really it is best not to be too far from the loo at any one point in the day. And why is it that the doctor who does your colonoscopy is the best looking doctor you have seen for ages, its grossly unfair, they ought to be ugly, or unpleasant or something, and as for offering to allow you to see the screen with the whole thing in glorious technicolour – don’t do it! However back to the endoscopy, they give you a choice of an anesthetic spray at the back of your throat, or an injection which makes you dopey. My doctor, who is great, said it was the date rape drug, and made you unaware, however at the hospital they also said that it meant you had to have an adult with you for 24 hours, well that meant that I could not get on with things for the rest of the day and I had stuff to do, and so I opted for the spray – wrong choice, should have gone for unaware!!

Apart from the fact that it tastes pretty unpleasant, I am not convinced that the spray makes you numb, at least my body did not think it did and happily went into vomiting mode for most of the procedure. They give you a plastic thing to bite on so you don’t break the expensive tube and camera or bite the doctor, which is a very good thing otherwise I would still have the damn tube inside me, severed at about 12 inches, and the doctor would have been injured. I found it difficult at the end of the procedure to unlock my teeth from it, so I dread to think what would have happened had it not been there. The people could not have been nicer, of course before you have it done you are nervous, during it you can’t say a thing and afterwards, however nice they are, you don’t really feel like being vociferously grateful, although I was grateful let me say. At least I was grateful to know that all was well.

Still at least I wasn’t dopey and managed to come back and do the 1.30 demonstration with no problems apart from a somewhat uncomfortable throat. Pinotage the Egyptian Vulture went loose today and did a great demonstration, as did Deception the Yellow-billed Kite, so that is two more for demo’s. The Turkey Vultures are coming on and we got everyone flown, which gets trickier as the numbers go up.

I spoke to Neil Forbes about Real, the Condor before I went to the hospital, and he said that it is rare that they have to operate, well guess what!! He had to operate, however it was a very good thing he did as there were adhesion's in her oviduct, so she would never have laid the egg and it would have killed her. He removed the ovaries as we did not want the whole thing to happen again next year and she would never lay eggs again anyway and we will go and collect her tomorrow.

All in all an interesting day, and all the money we earned at the weekend will pay for Real, but, she is worth it!

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers