Wednesday 26 May 2010
There are times in life when there is nothing like a bath at the end of the day. I usually have a bath in the morning, to start up the motor as it were, and feel fresh for the day (or warm up in the winter!) I feel guilty if I have one in the evening as well, particularly these days, when I try wherever possible to economise. However on a hot sticky day, when its been a tough one, you just have to do it sometimes. This evening the sun was coming through the bathroom window, I have wisteria and petiolaris (climbing hydrangea) climbing that wall and they are starting to cross the window, (taking over might be a better description) so the sunlight was dappled shade on the wall as if in a wood, very pretty and cheering. As I left the bedroom afterwards, I glanced out of the window and there trotting across the mown grass on the flying ground were two muntjac deer, I have to say in the forty odd years I have been here that is the first time I have seen deer in the field, it was a lovely sight in the late evening light.

It has been a tough couple of days, Bosbury Pippin, Holly’s lovely Ural Owl died before she even got him to the vets, Neil was his usually amazing self and helped Holly though it, they did a PM straight away, and Holly watched with James, one of the good things about a PM is that it very often proves that it was not a fault in the keeping or husbandry of the bird, which of course is always uppermost in ones mind at these times. This PM, did just that, poor little lad (and he was a lad) had a very nasty infection that in very young birds just hits them so quickly that it is almost impossible to save them. The symptoms really only showed on the day he died.

Since then Hard Tackle was not well on Monday morning, so off he went to Neils, often with a bird it is just a gut feeling, but Neil has always said it is vital to go with your gut feelings, as they are telling you that there is something wrong, but not exactly what it is. If you then leave it until there are symptoms, often it is too late. Hard Tackle has an infection of some sort, and we are treating him for that, plus nebulising him in case of Aspergillosis, but the most worrying thing was that he has arterial sclerosis (hardening of his arteries) So he is on a low fat diet (rabbit), meds twice a day and exercise twice a day. He eats his meds like a star, flies twice a day although he thinks it a little odd, but does not enjoy the nebulising, although he is being very good about it. I suspect this is directly attributable to our sojourn in the US, when he was not flown much in the early stages, then I was not allowed to fly my birds for the last year and then two years in unsuitable housing. Here is hoping that he recovers, the old bugger! I have to say he is very cheerful at the moment about it all.

Other than that, it has cooled down a great deal, which has made things easier for the Steller’s, they have their baby back now, that was a scary couple of days, but they are now feeding him/her and Simon said it is an amazing sight and the female turns her head completely upside-down to give him food!!

Darcy Spice the Great Horned Owl is well and coming on nicely. All the birds have been flying well. Pandora (caracara) had another unplanned trip around the Centre, and is now in a different aviary, an escape proof one I hope.

It is raining as I write and I am wet as I had to go and move some fencing out of the over flow car park as Mark is mowing it – hooray. Hooray he is mowing it, not because of the rain, although I suspect my plants will be pleased.

The drainage is now sorted again!! I hope it all works, there is a little more to finish off tomorrow and then we can get back to other planned jobs. We have heard that Rory (rabbit) is well, see pictures, and sadly my car is still dead!!

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers