Monday 20 September 2010
Am I ready to go, nope, not yet, I have written my paper, I have charged up my computer, phone, kindle and hard drive. I have a plug that will work in the US, my clothes are still damp!! And I have yet to pack, but that only takes minutes It was a day of slight but annoying problems, Dante got out through the road gate – which someone had opened and thought the horses would not barge through. He was caught half a mile up the road, and brought home in disgrace; at least my ankle appears a little better after the chase! Katana appeared in the field while Holly was turning on the PA, much to her and one of our regular visitors surprise!! She had seen Holly go down and assumed that of course Holly had forgotten her, and so remedied the forgetfulness. John has subsequently fixed the enclosure so that will not happen again! I tried to get my boarding pass online, went through the whole bloody process only to be told that I would have to check in at the desk, what a flipping waste of time and energy, why the hell did they not say that at the start.

I did manage to book the shuttle from Denver to Fort Collins and my car parking, so that was a bonus I think?!

Otherwise all the birds flew well, but there were niggles all day. I had to go and get diesel and air for the tyres in the car – one was very low, and managed to do it when the bloody school buses were arriving to empty Newent School, and that in itself is a nightmare to be avoided. One second male Bay Owl arrived back and the young female Spectacled Owl left for a new home and mate, so that was good. And actually I have to say that Cleeve did fly better than usual, although my Goshawk was only interested in hanging upside down – he was a little over weight.

We are doing a flying demonstration on Sat at least Holly and Mark are! and the company wanted our risk assessment, public liability insurance and method statement, what the bloody hell is a method statement. The world has gone completely mad. The only risk is our losing a bird, I don’t need to be insured (but am at vast cost) and my methods are fine thank you very much!!

I have to leave at 5.30am tomorrow so the dogs will not be fed by me, they will have to wait for Holly. And I am not taking them round the field in the pitch dark either – that is a recipe for falling in the pond while clean.

So its off to find the suitcase, tumble dry the clothes and find my alarm clock. I will be out of touch until next Monday – so here is jpj signing off!! (always wanted to say that!!)

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers