Wednesday 20 October 2010
Flipping Henry where do the weeks go. Its been hectic. The ponds are finished, all I need to do is get the ground power harrowed and seeded and it will look lovely, it already does look very good, much clearer, you can see the water even though the level is not where it should be yet - thank goodness, because it has been very dry. However once we get rain they will both fill and look great. I am pleased we have done it. Mike is just finishing off the new drainage at the top to get rid of my unwanted lake every time it does rain and to take the water from the owl courtyard and we will be done.

At the same time Richard HH has been here and with enormous help from all staff and volunteers the underground lights are going in!! And they are going to be stunning, we tried one line the other night, and it worked much to Richard's relief and my delight. Another few days and they will all be in and we can rehearse the birds ready for the first owl evening at Halloween. Don't miss the owl evenings this winter, we have a great team and new lighting, it should be unforgettable.
The birds are well mostly, we had a lovely little wild Kestrel in, which we think had been ringed in Sweden, at least that is where the address on the ring was, but she was thin and although we got fluids and some food into her she did not manage the night. The female sparrowhawk we have been fighting for, for probably two weeks now, we thought was improving, but she died over night the night before last, which was very disappointing. Two Tawny Owls have come in during the last two days, one too severely injured to survive and the other with a head injury which we just have to give some time and NSAID's and see what the outcome is.
All the birds here are flying well, the Peregrines are loving this cold bright weather, Dusky Emperor is really coming on, Cremorne is flying loose again and Delectable (Vulture) is flying rather more loose than planned!! We have to do some serious rethinking with that one, he or she is getting to be rather too good at flying, although the landings leave a bit to be desired. Dawn Run, one of last years Lanners snatched Holly's sunglasses off the top of her head yesterday and flew round the field twice before gracefully dropping them, I wish I had seen it. Alexandria was on the One Show, which needless to say I missed, but have seen since on BBC Iplayer, and they still had the wrong bird for the last shot. D'arcy Spice upset himself about a week ago and refused to fly, but is now back on line and working well. Eager, my beautiful Long-eared Owl who would only fly for me last year, now will fly for Holly and Adam, but not me!! I am most hurt. Apparently this has been the week for other insults as well, I obviously upset some precious parent last month by telling their children to behave, which I only do if they are spoiling the demonstration for other visitors and the said parent put on some website that I was a barren old witch, I did not mind the witch bit, it would be very cool to be able to fly on a broomstick, the old I sort of disagree with, more middle aged I would say, and as for barren - inaccurate chum!! And if you controlled your own children we would not have to do it! Then one visitor said it was great to have me back at Newent - sort of like having the Godfather back!! Ah well you can never please everyone all the time and I refuse to bow to badly behaved children I am afraid.
I have had two lectures to do in the last week, one outside Bridgewater, which was fun, I had to borrow a car as I still only have my little van, and the other last night at Bristol University for Vet Students I think. I completely forgot I was doing it, and remembered half an hour before I was due to leave and we had fed all the birds!! So we reckoned that Katana would work (Barn Owl) and I took her. She was wonderful, although finding the damn place was a nightmare, she flew brilliantly in the lecture room and was a star.
Simon has been in India for the last ten days, I think he is back tomorrow, although I am not sure, but he is not back to work until Sunday. So next week should be less frantic I hope. We have a five day course this week as well as all the work with diggers and dumpers and hole digging for the lights. I may even get to finish some of my emails, which I am way behind with and get out on Henry. I did actually ride today, for the first time in about two weeks, it was an eventful ride.
Adam has done two external jobs, one at Sudeley Castle for a local fashion magazine called Cotswold Style, Fortina will be on the front cover. Then he went to London with Annabel (volunteer) to do a video for Ministry of Sound (don't ask me I have no idea who they are) with Cool Ground, who is back on duty and flying well, he took Gypsy King (Spectacled Owl) as a rehearsal bird and the shoot went well I think.
Its bitterly cold tonight, a lovely clear sky with a bright moon, all the flying birds are inside, the heat lamps are on for the Secretary Birds, the horses are in and rugged up and munching hay, the dogs are asleep in front of the fire and I have finally got round to doing this again.

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers