Monday 3 December 2012
The rain is back!! But only temporarily I hope. I am cooking three joints of lamb for an Owl Evening this evening. We are putting it on in support of the village Church, the wall of the churchyard is in imminent danger of collapsing and we will raise over £1000 for it tonight. However the downside is that I have to cook the lamb that has been donated by the Credland’s, and we know what I feel about cooking!!! Hope it survives!
The last two Owl Evenings went very well, it was clear and bright with an almost full moon which always means that if the sky is good, Cool Ground, the Snowy Owl looks just wonderful as you can see him without our lights.
 
We are now closed although I think we probably should have stayed open for this last weekend, but one can never tell, certainly next year as Dec 1st lands on a Sunday, we will open and close on the 2nd. Talking of which I bought myself and some family and friends an Advent Calendar by Jacquie Lawson, you should get one, they are tremendous fun. A really cheap way to have a lovely run up to Christmas, I have decorated the tree in the calendar, and built a snowman, it’s very interactive and wonderful to do. Just google Jacquie Lawson and it will come up, her cards are superb anyway, as an e-card they are unbeatable.
 
The aviary cleaning and moving of birds around moves on apace, and John is doing an amazing job of getting it all organised, we are all very impressed and it may for once all be close to being done before Christmas, which will make my job of looking after it all between Christmas and New Year all the easier. Simon is back from the States, not sure what is happening there, although I am told there are all sorts of innuendos on FaceBook, but I still struggle with FaceBook I have to say. And I am not sure why you would want to put everything on there!!
 
Mike and I, well OK mainly Mike, have hopefully fixed the roof, but it looks like we are going to have to go for a complete re roof next year, the tiles that are on there are far too large and don’t work, so we have to go back to the kind that were on there before all 14280 of them!!! I have no idea how we are going to afford to do it, but we plan on doing it ourselves which will cut the cost down, and if we save the old tiles that will make some funds towards the new ones. I am really looking forward to that as you can imagine!!!
 
Art with furry ears!
I rode out both days at the weekend, it was great fun, and lovely but cold weather, I had a good time, although I am not sure Art did, I hope so. I did have a job to put my riding boot on as my toe is not right, I went to the Dilk hospital on Friday, hoping to get it X-rayed, but the X-ray people were not there, which was a drag. Ah well I am sure it will get better over time, it probably needs resting and putting up – no chance of that happening!
 
We took the Range-Rover into Buckland’s, and as a precaution I untaxed and uninsured it afterwards, because I suspect it may never come home again. It’s a great shame as I have had Range Rovers since the 1980’s, and I love them, but needs must at this point, and I certainly can’t afford to fix it if there is something major wrong, nor buy another one. Although even if I was very rich (which would be lovely!) I would not buy one of the new ones, they are hideous!! They look like someone has dropped something really heavy on them, they are NOT a proper Range Rover!!!
 
 Ooooooooooooppppppppppps I forgot that the kitchen fills with smoke if I have the oven up high – ah well the lamb is surviving so far – just…………..
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers