Monday 18 February 2013
Life is hectic! It’s been glorious weather for the last week, we have seen the sun for days at a time, which is nothing short of a miracle!! My absolute favourite winter weather. Cold clear nights, cold frosty mornings, warm (well OK not that warm, but warm enough not to wrap up) days, with sunshine. The birds, wild LBJ kind are singing spring songs, the daffodils are showing a tiny bit of colour and supposedly it is all going to go to pot later on in the week, but we have enjoyed it for now. It has also been perfect for the school half term. We appear to have two weeks of half term, Gloucestershire was last week and Herefordshire and Worcestershire this week, so that is good for us and we have been busy.
 
I have to admit that I was extremely worried last week, the bank balance was looking worse that I thought it should, but thank God and David Morton, although it probably should be the other way round, we discovered that some miserable lazy thieving bastard has stolen my debit card details and since Dec 27th been helping himself to just over £10,000. So no wonder we looked a bit thin on the ground. I even sold my car and put the funds in the business. I hope they catch whoever it is, I have offered if they do, to remove the perpetrator's testicles whilst they are still awake and feed them to the Condor, but I suspect they will not tell me who it is – shame really, because I bet the penalty is not as great as it should be. Anyway the bank is putting the funds back today, so I am hoping to get some sleep tonight, which I have not done for the last two.
 
The birds have been flying brilliantly, my eagle is really coming on now, the new Red-tailed Buzzard is jumping to the fist, John will have to find a name for him soon. Generally all the birds are doing really well and I think they too are enjoying the weather. We did our last two Owl Evenings for this part of the year, they start again next November. The Friday we had 50 people and the Sat we were full at 61, which was great and because the evening weather was good, they all went away happy. The mulled wine on the Saturday was probably one of my best!
 
I gave a lecture on the Vulture Crisis at Swansea University last week, Linda kindly drove me over there as I can’t manage a long drive yet. Sometimes you know when you have given a good lecture and I was pleased that I felt that it was a very good one. It was lovely to speak to a large audience who wanted to have the knowledge and the lecture theatre was great.
 
I have a hospital appointment tomorrow and might get rid of my brace. I broke it last week, but Tom put it back together with some wire! I wonder if they will want it back, I am sure they will, but it will have to be refurbished anyway I guess.
 
Richard is coming soon to do the lights in the flats and then Holly and Jimmi will not have to shower by candle light. We still await the new front door for the flats though, I think they are growing the timber for it! I have to say though Swinton Car Insurance have a star from me. I found out I was paying them £8.45 per month for Car Rescue, but I had not asked for it. So when I pointed it out they immediately stopped it and are refunding the money. Financially I am better off already!
 
Other than that there is not much news, the breeding season carry’s on, the lawns need mowing. I thin Art is doing well, there are the signs of leaves on some of the shrubs, we have lambs next door, and spring is not far away.
 

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers