Friday 29 July 2022

 I keep wanted to be able to write and tell everyone that the house is sold and my worries are over. But it is still not sold. I am confident that it will but the various problems I have had with the buyer would not be believed if I told you. Plus if I think about it all my blood pressure goes through the roof, which is not good for me.

Guess who!

Things are moving slowly with the house I am buying. I did a pre planning application which I am delighted to say had a good result. So we should be fine on building the very smart breeding barn for Hen Harriers. I am excited about that and now just need to find someone to come and work with me for the next ten years to breed and release Hen Harriers in Southern England.

Today six of the nine birds still left for that are going to the vulture conservation centre in Wales run by Holly and Adam are going. So more empty aviaries, but we are taking some of the mesh so that I at least save that cost on the six new aviaries I have to build to house the remaining birds (not Hen Harriers). The amount of food I have to get out each day will decrease again! That will upset the dogs as they like to help with feeding round and having titbits.

I still have one Lanner to find a home for, otherwise all the birds are in their new homes. I have a list of where they all are and if anyone wants to go and see them, drop me an email. They are spread about across the country!

Arthur's Seat
I have to say that this drought is worrying, many of my plants and trees are looking a bit miserable and my Indian Horse Chestnut tree has failed to have viable conkers for two years now. And while I am thinking of it, what is wrong with grey squirrels brains, they have again taken every single hazel nut from my tree and not one of them had any nuts as it is far too early. They obviously do not learn from experience.

I drove up to Edinburgh via Yorkshire the week before last. I dropped off the last brood of Hen Harriers, to the release aviary on a grey and chilly moor, and then drove on up the A1 to Edinburgh - what a vile road. I am not doing that again. The M6 route is far easier. I went up because one sister lives in Edinburgh and my other sister was over from New York and my brother over from New
Zealand. It was the first time in 20 years that we were all in the same place - amazing. We did some lovely walks and went up Arthur's Seat although not to the top as there were too many people up there for me. We did however hear some young Peregrines on the cliff face.

My brother and I drove back on that dangerously hot day. We left at 5.30 to miss the worst of the heat and did manage fine. Although getting out of the car into over like heat was a shock to the system.

Did I paddle in the Sea - of course!
I have been having an interesting time getting out of my car anyway, the door handle drove inside the door and I either had to climb out of the passenger door or use our patent door opening stick which meant open the window, put the stick (mark 2) into the door handle on the outside and push - worked a treat although I got some pretty odd looks!

So I am still here, bird numbers are down, and IF IF IF things go according to plan, I will start to move from here in September. But believe me when I say I am not holding my breath.

 


0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers