Monday 28 February 2022

I am sort of guessing that most of you will have learnt by now that we have closed the doors at the International Centre for Birds of Prey for the last time to the general public. BUT this is not the end of ICBP, the charity, the conservation work that we do or me.... oh no!

Actually I suspect that few of our visitors really know what conservation work we do because we have never been very good at boasting about it. But we should have boasted, and we should be proud of the conservation work that we have done and will still be doing.

I have had so many emails and messages since we put out the notice that we were closing. As far as I know, bearing in mind that I don't actually follow facebook or twitter or whatever, but as far as I have been told, there has not been one unpleasant comment. Which is not only very nice and heart warming, but very different from some of the appalling comments put on things like the falconry forum when I came back from the US. For those of you lovely people who put the unpleasant ones up - I still have them and will eventually find
out who you are!!!

I have been proud to hear from so many people who having been here regularly, volunteered here or worked here who said that the Centre changed their lives and their direction in life. That is great to know. I am proud of the work done with thousands of injured wild birds of prey that have come through the hospital here and many have had a second chance back in the wild. I am proud of the educational work that we have done in the last almost 55 years, and known that many of our visitors have left with a far greater appreciation of birds of prey. I am proud of the work that we have done and will still be doing in India and Nepal on Vulture Conservation. I am proud of all the various conservation projects we have helped all over the world. And I am proud that we will be continuing much of the more private work on into the future in the charity.

I am very proud of the way the staff are dealing with us closing and the amazing volunteers who are sad and dissapointed that we will no longer be here in about six months, but who are prepared still to come and help us, even down to the last few birds.

Most of the staff have already applied for new jobs and we have had a number of people ask if they are available! Many of the birds have been offered new homes and once we are out of the surveillance zone we will get them settled in their new homes. Adam and Holly are getting organised for the move to Wales and the vultures will go with them. I now have to find a new property that will fit the bill so that I, the dogs, about 10 birds, hopefully a new and safe horse (!) - a smaller one!! can have a good life, continue some conservation breeding programmes that we are involved in and have less pressure as well. I will have one member of staff to help me, who I hope will not mind caring for the dogs if I have to go abroad. Not found him or her yet either!

So things are moving on. I am just looking forward to getting some of this done so I can actually have a nights sleep that does not start at 4.00am!



0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers