Friday 30 October 2009

First Owl Evening day

My computer is behaving itself this morning, I had a troublesome evening. My server is Fasthosts, who used to be there in the UK when you phoned with a problem, now you get through to the Philippines, I have nothing against anyone from the Philippines, I have good friends there and it’s an amazing country, although with almost no forest left. However often in these call centres, wherever they are in the world, I do not understand their English and when your computer is not working that gets pretty stressful. I am very disappointed that Fasthosts have not stayed in the UK, I also think we should support our own country where we can. Whatever the problem was they did not fix, and it took rebooting several times before it would work on outgoing emails again.

We had a very short power cut yesterday, (which is probably what screwed up my computer!) but worse than that, I forgot what it also does is change the settings on the boiler, so NO hot water for an early morning bath – disaster!! And the answer phone message had to be rerecorded for the 95th damn time, because it wipes itself at every power cut, great design! Have you ever tried recording an answer phone message with two puppies having a riotous and very noisy game in the office!! It took five goes and I only succeeded after putting them in the kitchen, however I forgot that the back door was open, and so they had great fun with the plants in the courtyard, oh well they are only puppies once.

Holly has done a great job on the Pumpkins, she did one with our logo, I was amazed, and she managed to do the huge one that I got from Jonathon Low, it’s a monster. I finally got a small one done with very little imagination just before it got dark…………

Phew, I am exhausted, the owl evening went well considering it was our first one, the only problem was that we were only supposed to have 20 people for the first one, which we did have until about lunchtime today, and then 30 rolled up!! That made the guided tour a little busy, but once I have done one with Adam tomorrow night, he and Holly can help and so we will split the numbers up to have smaller groups.

The food was great and the mulled wine pretty good. Eager (Long-eared Owl) did his first indoor demonstration and was very good, Pan (Barn Owl) was his usual excellent self. The outside three did well, Papyrus (Savigny’s Eagle Owl) was a little confused to start with but got the idea. Oath (Ural Owl) was a little wayward, but willing and Hemp (Eurasian Eagle Owl) was an old pro!

The experience day went well too as did the chap doing a short bird handling – yes it was a busy day. And we were busy too, end of the half term, and there were lots of people there, and the birds did not let us down. I suspect that Hare will have his last day of flying tomorrow before his rest period because the weather forecast is dire for Sunday. The Peregrine (Fortina) was amazing, racing round the sky and chasing wood pigeons all over the place and even Casper and the Lugger flew well too. A good but exhausting day, and still not on Autumn Watch!!

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers