Friday 29 January 2010

First snowdrops 2010

There is a vividly bright moon outside, very clear and bright and to be very cold I reckon. I have to say the last two days have not been ones to write home about. On Wednesday our walk in Deep Freeze packed up, on Thursday Paul who fixes it came, he is a great guy and very honest, and he said it is not worth fixing – great, just the right time of year for that to happen. So we discussed things and decided that for the foreseeable future I would get some decent commercial chest freezers and if and when we can afford it we would consider getting a new walk in freezer. I feel like we are going backwards, but it was pointed out that it will be much more economical and sensible. So I phoned round and I have to say that a firm called Alexander’s was first class, there are four commercial deep freezes arriving on Monday and they have a five year guarantee on parts and labour and are only supposed to cost 13.6 pence per day to run. If that is the case I suspect I will have paid for them in the first year in saved electricity costs. I dread to think what the old walk in freezer was costing to run. But it was a shock financially at a difficult time of the year, I knew I should not have bought that lamp!

Today went rapidly down hill, I have been avoiding going shopping for days – I hate it, but wheatabix was calling or at least the puppies would have been had I not gone, I had improvised for two days, but this was it. So I got in the van – still no bloody car – and started to drive to Morrison’s in Ross on Wye – bear in mind I have gone off Tesco’s since all that rubbish with buying online. I did wonder why there were so many cars on a road that is normally devoid of traffic, I should have guessed, the road to Ross was closed – I mean damn it, a main road to the Motorway closed completely and the diversion signs – well the chap who decided on the route obviously never drove it – what a prat. So dilemma, do I go home – good idea – but then no wheatabix, so it was either Ledbury for Sainsbury’s or Gloucester for Tesco’s, should have gone to Ledbury!! I shopped at Tesco’s, and when paying first of all my debit card would not work – it had not worked yesterday either, but I had phoned the bank and left a message to sort it out – it wasn’t sorted!! Then tried my credit card, now I use it very very rarely, so I can never remember the number that you type in, I had two choices and got it wrong, but thought, oh well I have two more chances – wrong!!!! Now did you know that if you get the number wrong three times – at anytime in the whole life of the card, not just that time, but three times in three years your card will lock up and you will have to get a new one!! No I didn’t either, and neither did the girl at the bank, or anyone here, so remember – you have three goes and then you are stuffed. Luckily the last card worked, or I would have been left having spent two hours getting shopping I could not take home. I was fairly annoyed, so I got home and went straight to the phone to phone the bank, it was then I realised I did not have my wallet! Yup, lost my wallet, hoobloodyray!

So I phoned Tesco’s, you don’t get the shop you shop at, or perhaps if the chap had had a brain he could have walked over to the customer service and asked them, but no, he was in Cardiff and could not get them. I pointed out that this was a wallet with three credit cards in it, and was there not some rather quicker way of seeing if it had been handed in. He was singularly unhelpful, I hope he loses his wallet tomorrow. So I got back in the car and drove back to Gloucester having put all the shopping out of reach of Acer – I thought! I could not find the wallet and the customer service desk needs some serious training. I said what will happen if it is handed in, they said they would get hold me, I asked how as my address was not in there. They said, you have a store card, I said no!! So with persuasion I was allowed to leave my address, just in case. I then dropped into the police station to report it lost/stolen, the policeman said he could not list it as stolen as I did not know if it had been, I pointed out that I did not have it, Tesco’s did not have it, it was not in any of the places I had been – i.e., my van, my coat, my office or Tesco’s, so someone else had it!! Ah well, luckily there was no cash in there and three credit cards, two of which did not work anyway!! So whoever has got it will not have much fun! I cancelled the credit cards, and drove home. I hope it does get found as I was very fond of the wallet and had had it a long time, plus it had a great picture of the dogs in it and I have no idea what else!

The staff had kindly flown my birds, and so I did a little clearing up of shrubs, and then blow me it started to snow a storm!! So we rushed around and put all the baths and perches away, checked that all tools were in, thanked the Lord that we have the indoor Hawk Walk and finished the day. Phew!

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers