Friday 22 January 2010

Its interesting how computers do seem to have a life of their own, I have a document that I write the Weblog in on my desktop and it is never in the same place when I go to find it, quite extraordinary, it just moves around all by its little self. So in fact talking to my computer, or more likely threatening to throw it out of the damn window now seems really quite reasonable to me.

I have to admit to not being in the best of frames of mind. Yesterday was good, Simon Adam and I left early and found Casper sitting in a tree not far from where we had located him the night before, it was bloody freezing and still snow on the ground and he was not interested in the slightest, so we decided to leave him for a couple of hours until things warmed up a little (OK so not exactly warm!). We came back and got on with things, I caught up again on my computer, actually I don’t think I ever really catch up, we had coffee, dried out all the lures, gloves, and so on and Adam and I left about 11.30. Needless to say he had moved and that area is very hilly, so we did a fair bit of driving around, getting and losing the signal, but eventually found a strong one and found him sitting on a house – looking very smart and content, with a chap up a ladder about 30 feet away who had not noticed he was being watched!!

After various attempts to get him down, I put the half quail out and he said whoopee, that is what I have been waiting for. He still would not come down to the ground, but Adam suggested putting it on the gate post and it worked, after a couple of fly pasts, down he came and picked up well, so after showing him to the people who kindly let us get him down off we went – back in time for lunch. We did more staining of the shelves in the afternoon and the sun came out and Holly and I flew a good number of the falcons, looking forward to getting them going properly again. So all in all it was a good day.


Today has been less successful, I am blowed if I know what I have done, it seems very scrappy. And right now I am bloody livid because as you may remember I ran out of heating oil last Friday, and could not get any for five days. So yesterday we phoned up to check that Butlers were going to deliver oil today – that would be the five days, yes we were told, it will be in the morning. We have phoned twice more today and were told its on its way, and its 7.00pm and do I have any oil, do I buggery. The boiler has locked up again and I have no heating and no bath, so I am feeling very ratty indeed. I hope they have a miserable weekend.

Other than that the shop is looking wonderful. We have booked up two five day courses at least I think we have, come to think of it someone was supposed to phone today and didn’t, hhhhhhuuuuuummmmmmm. Steve who has been painting the ceiling in the shop fixed the vacuum cleaner cable that Sorrel chewed in half yesterday. As soon as you don’t hear noise from the puppies you have to check and see what they are doing!! It rained all bloody day so we got no birds flown. But Mike is getting on well with the building of the aviary, the lining is going in now, Simon fixed up the new shelf in the café and the carpet has been professionally cleaned and looks sparkling, we are all forbidden to go in with boots on and the dogs…………hum, I guess nothing will happen with them, they are too loved!


A week to go before we open again, we are behind with where I hoped we would be, but the snow beat us on that one. I am going to light a fire now as it is starting to get very chilly in my office. And if the oil is not here on Monday first thing I am going to the Butlers depot and I am going to steal a lorry full of the damn stuff.

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers