Wednesday 10 November 2010
It was a glorious day yesterday, I managed to get a couple of hours off and take Henry out for a ride, and it was lovely, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Today was supposed to be very wet, so it was good to take the opportunity. All birds are well and flying fine, and the five day course is going well, they had a lovely day to go hawking yesterday morning which was lucky. Of course if we were very mean we would have sent them out on the telemetry search in the rain that was supposed to happen today, but it didn't rain so we did if you see what I mean.

My office looks like a bomb has hit it, I am having a wood burning stove put in at my sisters instigation as she does not like to think of me cold which is very nice of her and I am or will be eternally grateful. This is a pretty cold house I have to say, and it does get very cold even with the heating on. However I had a very nice wooden fireplace in my office, and so putting in a wood burner would have probably set the house on fire, and as I love this house beyond reason, however cold it can get, I did not want that to happen. So a stone fireplace is going in, but needless to say it is not a clean job! The wood burner arrived today and I am praying that all will work well as there are people coming to stay on Sunday week. I am hoping that I can get the office painted as well, before they come - nothing like a bit of pressure I always say!!

My lip is getting better, Dusky Emperor decided to bite a lump out of it a few days ago, I had a word with her about it, but had to ask Adam to finish the demonstration that day, as I was bleeding profusely. Lips seem to heal in a rather odd way and drinking hot tea has been an interesting experience, however gin and tonic is not a problem, thank goodness! And on that note my Plum Vodka and Plum Gin is looking and smelling delicious, and no I have not tried it yet, I am saving it for Christmas - at least I am trying to.

I collected the second lot of eggs for the incubation workshop the day before yesterday and Simon is working really hard getting all the correct incubation done so everyone learns as much as they can from the course, shame more zoos are not coming (I might harp on about the lack of interest from zoos for some considerable time to come I think!)

Of course Simon does get upset when Richard is here because invariably the power goes off - not his fault I hasten to add, but the fault of years of electrics being added over time and the whole thing needed a huge sort out. But it is quite funny to see Simon's expression when Richards Landrover arrives! Talking of which, my Landrover is going well and I love it, although the CD player is not impressed as I suspect the suspension is not what CD players like.

We moved the damn Burrowing Owl mounds, so they are done and the grass seed that we planted - OK Adam planted on the friday before last is coming up, who says you can't plant grass in November! The new plants for the gardens are supposed to be coming next week, oh goody, more digging!

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers