Tuesday 2 November 2010
Well the first two owl evenings have gone very well. Richard's wife Janet help with the hog roast, thank you Janet! Richard made sure that the new lighting that he built worked and it did and the birds looked wonderful in it. I did the guided tour on the Friday and Holly and I did them on the Saturday. Adam's owls and Adam did very well, Holly's owls and Holly did very well, my owls did very well but I fell over the bloody Burrowing Owl's mounds - twice! Consequently they are going to be moved this week, they make life too tricky and we are all constantly worrying about tripping over them and not concentrating on the commentaries. Cool Ground, the Snowy Owl looks particularly wonderful in the new lighting, but it works well on all of them. Thanks a million Richard!! Shop next!!!
I have to go for a mammogram today, oh goody, my absolute favourite thing, only a cervircal smear fills me with more joy. Someone once said that to experience a mammogram all you have to do is lie on a nice cold hard (smooth) concrete floor and gently roll the front wheel of your car over your breast and leave it there!! And they were right! Actually I would much rather go for a ride on my horse - much much rather!
I have my new (secondhand - who in their right minds would by a new car that is instantly worth less as soon as you get in it) car. It is blue, very nice, goes well, has three seats in the front and two in the back and we have carpeted the back for the dogs, two steps to get in and its a Landrover Defender 90, what a surprise. I love it, next we have to get the trailer sprayed the same blue to match it and have logos and stuff put on and we will be ready for the show season next year. Although I have to say I am always a little dubious about putting my phone number on there in case someone wants to complain about my driving, not that that has ever happened of course. We still await the Range Rover..........................

Sunday was a good day, most of the school children had stayed away, we were very busy with them during the week, but back to more mature visitors on Sunday. Holly had the day off to give her father a nice birthday, and Adam and Mark were off, so John came in and helped with the demonstrations, I could not have managed without him, he and Josh and Zoe did sterling work, and we go a fair bit done too.

I had to drive to near Witney yesterday to collect 180 eggs for the incubation workshop that starts on November 24th ( and that is only the first batch, there are two more to collect! I have to say I have been very disappointed by the lack of interest from most of the zoos, all of whom I might add could probably do with a course like this, and no interest at all from the bird of prey world, who obviously know it all already! This is an amazing workshop with huge opportunities to learn, I sent Simon on it to Spain last year and he raved about it. Ah well there is none so queer as folk as they say. I put on a pair of shoes to go as I was not sure the hatchery would appreciate my wellies, now I have hardly worn them at all, OK I have probably had them about 15 years, but I have hardly worn them - they fell to bits, literally! I had to throw them away can you believe it. I have to do something about my clothes in the next year or so, Charlie, don't say a word, the problem is that I hate, loath and detest shopping for clothes.
Barn Three is getting its major clean and paint at the moment, and it is looking great I have to say. Nest to do is the Zoo Mesh on the Owl Courtyard, and a repaint, then Barn 2 to clean and touch up. I hope to get most of the barns finished and with their food drawers in (thanks to Tom and Mike) by Christmas, but we have decided to clean and repaint the Kites Barn on February 28th, and it should last as nice and clean and tidy until about Valentines Day, by which time the walls will be covered again!

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers