Thursday 10 January 2013

The ruins on the right hand side of the drive going up to Duncombe
Finally I have started on the website for Duncombe and gone back to writing the next book on husbandry and training of birds of prey. It has taken me a while and one of the problems is that I try to keep up with emails, and I never seem to catch up. So I have said Sod It, and started anyway. I find that once I start writing I can usually keep going, but it’s the starting that is the tricky bit.

John and Mark liked the title of this book - working eh!!
Holly and Ben have been painting in the flats. We are going to have to completely redo the bathroom, but Simon’s old flat apart from some somewhat dark paint is not too bad. It is now white and looking much more cheerful. There is a long way to go, but it’s a good start. Adam’s will be needing rather more work as I have to try and get all the paint off the woodwork, which will be fun I don’t think, and we had to rip out the kitchen!

Mark and John did a film job on Sunday, in Tesco’s at Wembley. I am looking forward to seeing it on the TV. Needless to say when they text-ed us to say that they were on the say, they did not tell us how it went!!! However they phoned again and it went well! So another one under the belt done and dusted as it were. And useful at this time of the year.

The weather has been dry for several days now, wonders will never cease!! It makes such a difference. However Dave who wants to come and collect his logs that have been sitting at the bottom of the field since January has not got a hope in hell until the ground is a great deal better than it is now, and it is going to take weeks of dry weather before it is drive-able on I suspect.

I took the remainder of the Christmas decorations down. You have to do it on January 6th or it is unlucky, but I did not get much chance to enjoy them as I rarely get them up until close to Christmas Eve. So everything is now packed away for another year. Linda did the bulk of it for me on Friday, but we left enough up so that it did not count!!

Leaf is doing well with Richard, she seems to have settled and is playing with all the house dogs, we have to hope she will behave when he is away.

Interestingly it takes half as long to get through to anyone at Gloucester Royal as it does to get a bedpan!! And apparently you have to pay for your X-rays to get them, although a physiotherapist can’t treat you unless you have them. I think that might be construed as blackmail!!
 
We have taken nearly all the stuff that needs to come out of the flats, so the dog can see the rabbit as it were. The dump will have some, the bonfire some and the scrap man some. All will be gone by the end of the week I hope. They are going to look fine once they are redecorated and cleaned properly, they just need some serious TLC right now.   

And Mike has nearly done the new drainage in the car park so we hopefully will not get a flood down the back steps and across the front of the shop, should be great if it works!! We are also putting down new gravel in the car park entrance, so if you drive in in the next couple of weeks, come in and out slowly and drive a different route each time and you will roll it for us!!


0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers