Tuesday 22 January 2013


The snow is still here, although thawing fast apart from where we have been walking on it, where it is now an ice slick, which is a little scary when you have a fracture back. However we, OK John and helpers(!) chucked some salt down on the worst bits, so I don’t break anything else. I had a hospital appointment today, had my back X-rayed, its amazing how insecure I felt taking off the back brace during the day – will have to get over that! It is healing OK and I have another appointment in four weeks when I might be able to do without it. Four weeks, gosh, most of me wants it gone now and the rest is nervous about it! How daft is that.

Bramley looking wonderful in the snow

Holly left for the US today, for her incubation and hatching and rearing experience. She is going on a course at Houston Zoo – thank you Zoo for helping us on this one, it is greatly appreciated, and then she is going with Susie Kasielke who teaches the course to LA and working at the Zoo there for a few days on incubation and rearing. She has been teased mercilessly about going surfing while she is there!! I wonder if she will meet the man I once fell in love with immediately I met him, needless to say he did not treat me particularly well, as have none of my American loves!! Best to stick to Labradors I reckon they are guaranteed to be loyal and loving for all of their far too short lives.

Talking of which - finally the inevitable happened today and Shasta ate the TV remote control, it had to happen eventually and she managed it this afternoon, it worked a tiny bit for a short while and then gave up the ghost completely – actually when John showed me how to change the TV stuff without the remote I found it was a lot quicker, so I don’t really mind, although I am not sure where the bits are!!!

My staff knowing that I was not able to make a snowman and a snow dog, which I really wanted to do, made me a tiny one, he is rather cute!! Never mind, I will make some next winter instead and they will be brilliant!

The work here goes on apace. The new bathroom is going into the flats tomorrow, and I am going to attempt to get up there and do some painting as well. I need some furniture for Adam’s ex flat, but I am sure we will find something good soon. The birds are starting to lay, the African Fish Eagles laid today, which is lovely, I hope all goes well as it would be so good to breed them again. They are wonderful birds, although I have to say my absolute favourite of the Fish Eagles to fly is the White-bellied Sea-eagle, which is quite marvelous. Oh and I flew a bird today, can’t pick up falcons as I can’t bend down easily with this brace, plus I am a little nervous about it, however the owls are another matter and so I flew Bramley today, he went really well and it was great to get back into things again. Although I do have one problem, Holly washed my falconry bag after Christmas and it did not survive the experience, so I must get a new one. Mark’s is looking pretty much the worse for wear as well!!

Everyone has been so wonderful in helping me with this injury, people have dropped in, walked the dogs, taken me to the hospital, offered help here there and everywhere, it is very heart warming, makes you feel that all will be well with the world.

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers