Friday, 14 March 2014
Mark and I went to London on Wednesday, we were giving a presentation at the PAW meeting, which was held at Kew Royal Botanical Gardens. It was pretty foggy when we left and stayed that way pretty much all the way to Reading when it cleared, and then we hit London traffic. It took us three hours to get there and one hour 55 minutes on the way back!!!
It was pretty foggy yesterday, but cleared by lunchtime and we managed to get all the birds flown, and at the end of the day a school party from Newent School came up to learn about the
vulture project and the problems of diclofenac, shame the European Government doesn't seem to understand it! I had Neil and some of the bird staff coming to supper so just about managed to get ready for it. Sedge was very excited to have lots of people in the house in the evening. We had a nice meal and the dogs enjoyed the company. Neil kindly had a look at Sedge and felt that there was some hopeful signs of reflex response. He suggested that Sedge have some treatment from a practitioner he knows who does acupuncture and laser therapy, and he emailed her to ask her to contact me.
This morning I had to take Sedge over to Vets Now to see his surgeon and have the staple stitches
taken out. He still has no deep pain response, but Sergio also felt that there was more reflex response, particularly in the left leg, which I had noticed was slightly stronger (he could manage on three legs). He said there is a little hope and I drove home with Sedge, who was much more relaxed on the way back than he had been on the way there. The drive was dreadful both ways - thick fog for most of it and I was staggered at how many people were stupid enough to drive a) much to fast and b) with out lights on. I was very pleased to get home in one piece.
Jan, the lady who does the laser therapy phoned at lunchtime and came over and gave him his first treatment, he was a little concerned, but soon settled and almost went to sleep. He is a tired dog this evening. He has another treatment on Monday, so fingers crossed.
The birds all flew very well today, I don't think I could fault any of them and they are all loving seeing the sun again. Mark got Karis and Fortina out, so they will be back on duty soon. And I am really pleased so far with my new Harris Hawk, he is called The Thinker and is doing well. Oh and Holly's Harris Hawk Domino knobbled a duck yesterday, they really are particularly brainless at the moment. I mean it is pretty stupid to think about breeding on a pond where over thirty birds of prey are flown daily, not to mention the dogs, but to walk from one pond to another in the middle of a flying demonstration is asking for trouble and one of the drakes got it. So its duck for supper.


Ukfalc said...

I'm so glad to hear that there are some signs of hope and encouragement for Sedge. We are all thinking of him.


I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Website counter