Sunday 18 April 2010
Hooray, heard the first cuckoo today, spring must be here!! Its been a busy week only Thursday was what might be called an ordinary day without a course or experience day, otherwise we have been running that is for sure. Woodland Venture is still very sick and we don't know if he will make it, he is at the Vets, although I suspect Neil is trapped in Brussels, which can't be fun.

The weather has been kind, no rain, which is always nice and the last two days it has been warm as well. The easterly and north easterly winds we had up until Sat did give us amazing flying though, so there are always up sides to the weather whatever it is. The grounds are looking great and the trees are finally starting to look green again. The swallow are here, Gazelle tried to catch one yesterday, silly falcon, he did not have a hope in hell, and the wagtail that likes to play chicken with the birds in the flying ground is back too. We had a great flight at two Jackdaws yesterday, Jodami, (juvenile Lanner) chased after them in fine style and he very nearly caught one. I would have been pleased as they are building a nest in one of my chimneys which I could live without!

I did
the first proper external flying demonstration of the year today, for the Cotswold Vale Hunt, their country fair and point to point. It was lovely up on the Cotswolds, and the birds flew superbly, I was delighted with all of them, as some, such as Theft, have not been away from home for a while, and he did well. Hare (Tawny Eagle) was great as were the falcons, and even Bay Middleton (Harris Hawk) did well although he chickened out on the dummy rabbit! I had to borrow Tony Buckland’s Landrover as my Range Rover is still sick, it is such a nice vehicle, sadly tomorrow it will turn back into my van again, damn it!


We have a five day course starting tomorrow and two people from America coming, although with the lack of air traffic, I am not sure if they will make it, I do hope so. I feel for all those people trapped somewhere in the world, my sister is in Switzerland, so I hope she gets back OK. I am glad I am home, it’s the best place to be trapped!

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers