Saturday 24 April 2010
The weekend already, where do the days go? The five day course went well I think and hope, at least the people on it seemed to have a good time and learn a great deal. The weather of course helped as it was glorious all week, which if you are going to be spending much of the day outside with birds is a huge bonus. Having two of the people stay with me was fun too, and particularly as they were very nice people to have around, and so easy, plus they liked gin and tonic!

The injured Tawny Owl went off this week, we released him in the field as he was found in the field behind us, he flew off very well, it was early evening, he landed in the trees by the top pond, and then was mobbed by all the blackbirds, thrushes and other LBJ’s around, a couple of Magpies came in as well but we chased them off. I checked him about an hour later and he was doing exactly what he should be been doing, huddled up against the bark of a tree covered in ivy, pretending he was not there until it was full dark. We were delighted to see him go so well, it is always good to see the injured wild birds return to the wild. We have heard that our young buzzard is doing well too, he has been seen and is taking the chicks put out for him. It could not have been better weather for him to go in.

The peregrine is doing well, although will still only eat quail (sorry Charlie!) I did get her to eat a chunk of beef, so at least he will have two types of food to use with her. I really hope she gets back too, that would be great. Our birds are well, the breeding season is a little up and down, but then all breeding seasons are like a roller coaster.

I just looked at a friend of mine’s twitter page, huuuuuummmmmm wish I had not. What on earth is that all about, apart from to be completely incomprehensible, and make you look like an idiot. Twittering birds make more sense for heaven’s sake, are infinitely more attractive, sound great in the morning, and are wonderful to look at, could one say the same about ‘twitter’, I think not. I abhor the habit of ‘text speak’ as well, I am afraid that when people email me and write in text speak I return the email asking them to write in proper English and then I will reply to their queries. Our language is such a lovely language, it’s a crime to ruin it. And as for people who write in it wanting a job – dream on!! Why would I want to employ someone who apparently is unable to find out my name, and can’t spell or put a sentence together!! What do the careers people teach them one wonders.

The volcano is still affecting an amazing number of people, even here we had to postpone the Falcon Experience Day that was due to happen today as over half the people could not come because they were stranded outside the UK. Just goes to show you would be MUCH better staying in this beautiful country for your holidays and supporting the local tourist industry!! Which is more than can be said for the delightful Mr Brown who apparently feels that petrol and diesel prices are not high enough, and he is not getting enough tax screwed from the motorists to compensate for his dire management of the country for the last three terms, and so is putting on more tax, well done Mr Brown. Nice work the Labour Party, you managed to bring the tourist industry to its knees during the Foot and Mouth outbreak, and now you are trying to do it again, good job. How the Labour party can have the nerve to say that they will be the party to bring the country back from its problems when they have been in power for the last three terms and put it there in the first place, beats me.

I have some new anti wrinkle cream so I am expecting great things to happen, a friend of mine sent me a photo of her, me and mother (and Dinah but she hated the photo so I have not put her on. Its amazing to see oneself sooooooo young. And smoking too!! Ah well, the sad thing is that I always thought I was fat, and so never appreciated that in fact then, I was not! And wearing trousers too!

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers