Saturday 28 April 2012

One of my absolute pet hates in life, apart that is from the weathermen/women, who never get it right, and SatNav’s which also never get it right – are television remote controls. Firstly what was wrong with getting up and turning over to a new channel, we are an over- weight population and getting up and turning over the channels on the TV would actually probably be good for us, IF we could do it. However apparently we can’t – I am sure there are buttons on my TV so I can do the whole operation manually, but I have no idea where they are. Sadly at the moment, I am also unable to get the remote to do anything on my TV. Now admittedly the puppies did have hold of it, but I don’t see any major damage on it, I have changed the batteries, but can I get it to do anything, like turn up the sound, which is on silent at the moment, change the channel, even turn the damn thing off – no, it’s as dead as the proverbial door nail. So I am not watching TV in my sitting room I am writing this instead, and trying to buy a Chest of Drawer, but failing about as dismally on that as the TV remote control – update, it was the puppies, one tooth mark had made the sound button stick down – fixed by Robin.

We did our first away from home show last weekend, I was so pleased with the birds, Dawn Run was excellent, and I was a bit worried about her as she had spent several minutes yesterday seriously chasing a pigeon – we all watched with glee, but it got away. I took Bush Master, one of the young Yellow-billed Kites and it was his first trip away, and he was brilliant, and it was not an easy place to fly and the wind was fairly strong, but he managed a treat. The Merlin was not happy about the strange surrounding, but did come to the lure twice, and so we move forward on that one. Hare was OK, not brilliant, but again the wind did not help and Karis was fine, good and reliable. So apart from the PA which did not work well, it all went very well.

Art has been going really well, I am so pleased with him, he is such a nice horse and seems to be happily settled in now. He was shod last week and behaved beautifully. I went to watch some dressage at Hartpury which was lovely to see, we are going to aim for a competition in July!!

I have to admit we are all a little low at the moment, the weather has been miserable. Actually the really bad days have only amounted to three, and the weather forecast in terms of rain has as usual been wrong, but we are well down on visitor numbers, and it is just so cold and grey, enough to make anyone feel low.

However, ever onwards and upwards, and hopefully things will improve, even though Art lost a shoe yesterday – he was pratting about in the overflow carpark and left holes all over it and his hind shoe, the holes have been stamped on and the shoe found.

The pond is very full and the blanket weed is looking a little better, David came and sprayed it the other day, he then checked it and said it was looking unwell, blanket weed always looks unwell, its horrid stuff. Everything is greening up well and my tree peony is out, but what a difference between the last two springs and this one, it looks very bedraggled in comparison to previous years.

The last Verreaux’s Eagle egg was clear however we took a risk and gave them a fertile Steppe Eagle egg and they have hatched it and are rearing it, which is wonderful, we now have four pairs of eagles that will rear – hooray!

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers