Monday 26 July 2010
The Griffon Vulture is back from the vet with all the ironwork gone, he is doing well and if the tendon stays in place, Neil has promised that he can realign the foot so he can manage better. We need to give him some time to recover and know that the tendon is staying put. He is doing well, eating very well and behaving in his new aviary.

The wild Goshawk is going back to the wild tomorrow, he is more than ready to go and it will be nice to put him back where hopefully he will find his parents again. The baby Sparrowhawk with neurological damage did not make it, we gave him two weeks which should have been more than enough for a recovery if one was possible, but today he was seen by Neil and we had to take the decision that he did not have a future. The latest wild Buzzard with a nasty head injury is recovering, but still can’t fly, and the latest Sparrowhawk a juvenile male has been given the chance for the fractured wing to recover and see how he does. This is a tough time of the year for young birds coming in and we are getting desperate for a new hospital as we run out of space very quickly.

An old friend of mine, Biff Norman has been here with some friends of hers for the last couple of days, teaching everyone how to make good falconry gloves. Sadly most of those for sale these days are made in Pakistan or India and quite frankly they are dreadful, I have yet to see a decent one that I would give house room. So all we need to do is find an old leather sewing machine and we can make our own which will be very nice.

Its been the most glorious weather, very warm and no rain, although I suspect that the trees here would be grateful for a serious soaking. Some are already starting to turn and gain some autumnal colour and I think it is only because of the lack of water. Even my pond is looking low and covered in duck weed, which then in turn covers the dogs when they take a swim!!

I booked my flight for going to the US (I know!!!) for the RRF conference in September. I am giving a paper in the education session. Now if you book to go to the US you then have to fill in a form on line for a visa waiver. I just love it when they ask you if you have been taking drugs (would I own up to it, I suspect not!) have you abducted any children (not on your life I avoid them like the plague!) are you, or have you ever been a terrorist (well actually no, but if I were would I be stupid enough to tell you, could be one answer, or perhaps, well I was, but only as a teenager, I have grown out of it now!!) Honestly one does wonder, however I duly filled it in and will I hope be allowed in, although I have to say I don’t hope that much!

Charlie came down last week and sorted out my utility room, it is now plastered and so we have to finish it off and then I have to choose the paint. It was good to see him, and he gave me a wonderful painting by David Rampling of the Steller’s Sea Eagle from a great photo by Linda Wright, it is lovely and now adorns the wall near the piano (with no ivory) in my sitting room.

The baby Burrowing Owls, Rival and Wayside are doing well, Wayside is the one with not great eyes, but he is charming nontheless, and they are both going to be fine for demonstration in the not too distant future, which is good news.

My brother arrives soon, and I have just realised that I took the sheets off my bed this moring and it is a quarter to 11 (pm) and the bed is not made - bugger, time to get it done!

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers