Friday 16 July 2010
Well I have to say that about the last thing you want at the end of a day is the bloody Bald Eagle buggering off, and if that is not alliteration I don’t know what is. It has been very windy for the last couple of days, and I chickened out of flying her yesterday, which was probably a good thing as it was even windier then. I let her go at the weighing room and Adam was waiting for her to arrive, the last we saw of her was about 150 feet up and flying well, away from us!! So out came the telemetry, on went the running shoes, into the bag went a creance and a rat and off we went. We stopped three times and with an eagle on a windy day you need to get in front of it sharpish, so we did and then left the van at a friends farm and trotted off over the fields, hedges, barbed wire fences, streams (twice) until we got to a field where we were getting a very good signal on 'near', and two buzzards were going banana’s which sort of gave the game away. Cremorne took off as I was frantically waving the rat about, and to be fair she came round twice looking, but the buzzards were stooping at her, as was a large gull. She landed in the hay field (baled thank goodness) and then took off again towards me and landed again, and then came into the rat, but she was pretty wound up and so would not let me get close, however after about four attempts I managed to get a jess and then grabbed her and tucked her into my arms!! Adam took all the stuff back to his van over the various obstacles, and I walked back to the Centre with the eagle, with a sigh of relief and a wistful thought that I had no tonic damn it!

The PA system has been playing up something rotten and I think the time has come to get new transmitters as they are driving us nuts right now. The plinth for the ‘golden eagle’ – a singularly unattractive metal statue of an eagle which is VERY golden – is finished and now we just have to get the eagle on to it, I think it will improve its looks no end, I hope so anyway! Otherwise one of us is going to sit up there and look imposing!
Rush is well, still on meds, but as Acer is in season he has completely forgotten that he has been ill, and is busy trying to mate with her at all the most inappropriate moments. Interestingly I would have put Indigo as top dog once Aster left, but I think it is Rush.

My sister Anna came for a day and a half, it was lovely to see her and sad that it rained almost the whole day she was here, the only rain we have had for months!! We went to see an old friend and we ate a lot of fruit, both of which was good for us.

My Goshawk is improving, he is sitting well on the fist most of the time and has had to be tethered as he is growing so fast, he doesn’t seem to mind, which is one worry done with.

I got stung by wasps the evening that Anna arrived, I have two old hay racks in the corners of the courtyard, they have been there for years, and have ivy and stuff growing in them. One has a wagtail nesting in the ivy so I have not been able to water it, so I thought I would spray the underneath and wet the roots, bad move, there was a wasps nest there and they were very pissed off, consequently two of them got me, I hope they died in the process. The resulting soreness took three days to go!!

I see in the news that the catholic church has opened its mouth and put both feet in it again, it being a crime to ordain a woman priest, punishable by instant excommunication, and a crime to molest children, (both the same level of crime!!!!) punishable by ignoring it and hoping it will all go away. Well done!! And then to add insult to injury in the true sense of the word, its going to cost us the tax payer twelve million pounds to have the Pope visit here. Well I have to say I would suggest he doesn’t come if that is the case, but of course I am only female so what do I know as far as the catholic church is concerned.

It’s a lovely evening, the long light evenings are slowly getting shorter as the summer progresses, although its still very light early on. I think the changes in the seasons are what makes this such a great place to be.

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers