Sunday 11 July 2010
Rush is home! Simon and I collected him last night, he is well, wants to do more than he is allowed, is certainly not off his food, but is not out of the woods yet. However it is great to have him back.

Yesterday was a little hectic, Adam and Holly were off, thank goodness John came in because without him it would have been murder. Between him and Joan they managed most of the photographic experience day, which went very well, it is a good time of year for the photographers because of the baby owls. I flew Pan for them and they should have got some stunning shots of a Barn Owl flying because he was just great. They were a very nice bunch of people too which makes a difference.

The birds all flew well, Milan rather too well as he was having such fun he would not come in, it was only when I threatened to let the vulture out regardless that he decided John was the better option! Karis gave us the best stoop of the year so far, in exactly the right place, holding his height, waiting until the last minute and teardrop all the way down, just gorgeous! We had a school party from Newent School which I was very pleased about and the kids were really good to talk to and interested. I am glad that Newent is beginning to know what they have on their doorstep. We had two bird handling sessions as well, one booked and one because they saw the other person getting to hold a bird, I told them all the funds at the moment would go towards the vultures bill, which pleased them. Talking of which, he is doing well, he is using the leg a little more and we are just now all crossing our fingers that he will be OK once all the iron work has gone, which will be about two weeks now I think.

At lunch time I talked to the teachers about another visit from a different group of students, year something or other, I have no idea what this year thing means, I remember form one to six in my school days!! And a much better system it was too. So all in all it was a busy day to say the least, and warm, and it did not bring the promised rain in the evening either.

I have been watching the news about this chap they released from prison and he went around shooting his ex girlfriend, her current bloke and a police man, and I just don’t understand why everyone is now blaming the police that he did it in the first place and that he shot himself in the end. Knowing the justice system I suspect that it would have been highly unlikely that he would have been left in prison because he was threatening people, good god, people have bullied others to death on some of these housing estates and got away with it. And why are we worried that he may have been tazered, I am staggered that immediately a criminal and yes he was a criminal, that is what you call people who shoot people, does himself in (and saves the country a ton of money!) everyone feels sorry for him. If you break the law in that way then you have to face the consequences, I guess it is that these days being responsible for ones actions and facing the consequences is something that is avoided, its easier to blame someone else. Ah well no doubt there will be a huge and highly expensive investigation which we will all pay for in the end. And to add to my delight – the football is over tonight – hooray!
Rush is lying in my office as I write, I am about to go out and see if the goshawk would like to sit on the fist and start to behave. Thank you all for your concern about Rush, he is a very special boy and hopefully on the road to recovery.

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers