Sunday 4 July 2010
Message from Charlie, he phoned last night to say that the Symonds Yat peregrine had caught crow number 6 (I think) but it took him an hour to catch up with her, and she had eaten the lot and flew into a tree with a huge crop. I advised him to leave her and go back early in the morning. He got there at 5.15am (we falconers are used to early mornings!) and she had caught another crow!! That is two in twelve hours - this bird is steaming!!! She left it and he could not get near her so –:

Well my motorised winding up technique proved a success! She came down to the crow about 40 mins after I called you, I started the car engine whilst she was coming down. I let her start feeding then I dropped it into drive and drove round and started winding! She was way, way happier to have a Jeep driving round her than me walking round her. I managed a good half dozen wraps and then jumped out and grabbed her. As I was putting jesses, swivel and leash on I turned to see the Jeep rolling off down the hill. I had managed to only put it in Neutral rather than Park! Fortunately it didn't get far. I took the falcon to see the farmers wife who was chuffed to bits to see her. I think it may be time to let this lady have her freedom.

So isn’t that the best bit of news, she made it and will go back to the wild this week, good for her and for Charlie!

The flying demonstration for the Hawk and Owl Trust went rather well, although I say it myself. And we had a report of an owl when I returned, I suspect it was not Papyrus as it was about six miles away, but you can never tell, so unloaded the birds and went out again!! We did not find him, but spoke to various people who saw the owl and left information and phone numbers in case it comes back again.

We put the vulture out on the lawn today, he did very well and was sooooooo pleased to be out of his sling, we put him back in at 5.00pm, so he spends the night with the leg in the right place and about eight hours of freedom, and he is very good, does not move about too much and is eating well.

D’Arcy Spice’s flying abilities are coming on, he is not far off being able to get to the posts, which will be great when he can. Gypsy King is fully recovered and starting to fly to the fist, so Adam is pleased and he and D’Arcy Spice seem to be happy together!!!!

The baby Goshawk has also got ambitious and has learnt to fly up onto the fence, so he is going to have to be confined in a compartment until he is old enough to go on a proper perch. Holly’s baby owl Bramley is coming on as are Rival and Wayside, the two baby burrowing owls.

We had a very full Hawk Day today which went well and everyone behaved themselves – guests and birds alike! This week we have a French party of children who are all booked in for bird handling, that will be an interesting day and all staff are in for it!

I am hoping to get my Range Rover back this week too, I think I have forgotten how to drive it.

1 comments:

chris f said...

Hello Jemima
I first came to the IBPC about 25 years ago and watched flying demonstrations with my small son, we came a few times, whenever we visited my family in the Forest of Dean from our home in Lancashire. Both of us loved it. A couple of years ago I came with a friend, my son having long since grown up and flown the coop, and while we enjoyed ourselves, it was not the same. That particular day, every bird that was flown "buggered off" so to speak, and sat in trees or rode the thermals laughing at the staff. They all came back safely (I checked the website), but it was funny looking back, once we knew that they were safe. It was a very hot day.
Last week I came again with the same friend, and I was so glad to see that you are back. I am sorry things did not go to plan for you in the USA, it must have been hard, but I hope you feel you are "home" and happy back in Newent. As an occasional visitor, I'm very glad that you are, and that the UK has you back.
Chris

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers